Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Marry Me

A year ago today, was one of the best days of my life.
The love of my life asked me to marry him.
 
There is seriously nothing better than the man of your dreams getting down on one knee and asking for your hand in marriage.
 
It is a moment you always dream about. How it will happen. What the ring will look like. Where it will be. What he will say. What you'll be wearing. Will you remember to say yes. Will your nails be painted. Will you laugh. Will you cry.
 
But in the moments of an actual proposal, all of that goes away. It doesn't matter what you are wearing or what the ring looks like. You will most likely laugh and then cry. You will be so happy and shocked that you probably won't remember what he said - or at least that is how it happened for me. All that matters, is that the one you've always dreamed about spending your whole life with has just asked you that exact question.
 
Here is how the day happened for me. A single moment that changed my life forever.
 
Proposal’s Background: We were in the car on Sunday March 25th when we first heard that Star 94 was putting on a private show featuring Snow Patrol. Snow Patrol's song "Chasing Cars" came out a year after we started dating and somehow found its way to my phone as Harrison's ringtone for the next 5 years! The only way to get tickets into the private concert was by winning them on the radio (by being caller number 9) or entry online. I was excited and decided to sign us both up, especially since we win everything!
On Thursday March 29th, I received an email from Star 94 notifying me that I was a winner of two VIP Tickets to the Snow Patrol Concert! I, of course, was so excited and called Harrison to tell him the news! After forwarding him the email, we discovered that the private concert was actually in the middle of the day. We discussed with both of our managers in order to get half of the day off. Mission accomplished.
 The Proposal (April 2nd): Harrison met me in the lobby of my office and we headed for the W Buckhead Hotel for the concert. Once we checked in, we were brought into the room for the concert. There, in front of the stage, were two seats marked as VIP. I turned to Harrison and said "Are those for us? We're the only ones that won VIP Tickets?" He seemed unsure and told me to ask a Star 94 crew member, who then reassured us that the seats were in fact ours. The girl next to me even asked "How do you even win VIP Tickets?" I proceeded to tell her that it must have been the luck of the draw considering I just entered online!
Cindy and Ray from the morning show came in and started running through a Q&A session with the audience. Cindy then asked where Harrison was and a producer brought a microphone:
"I'm Harrison Duckett. I do have a question, but not for the great band we all came here to see today. Before that though I want to thank Snow Patrol and Star 94 for having all of us here. So thank you! Now this is my girlfriend, Kelsey, who I have been with for almost 7 years. She thinks she is a contest winner here, but the truth is, I am the big winner because I am with her. To quote the lyrics of an amazing, special song by Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol, "All that I am, All that I ever was, Is here in your perfect eyes, They're all I can see." Kelsey, you are my best friend and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"
As tears poured down my face, I mumbled the word "Yes" as he slid the ring on my finger and the audience cheered in the background.
For the next hour, we sat an arm reach away from the band we love and listened to a song that is dear to our hearts and our relationship.
 
 
So that is how the fairytale moment happened for me. Every detail of the day was perfect. So thankful for my husband and all of the love he has for me. He definitely knows how to make a girl feel special and loved!
 
Happy One Year Engagement Day!




meeting Snow Patrol afterwards!


No comments:

Post a Comment